Locally sourced ingredients at the Absolute Bar & Grill Limerick
Jim Kordon is the head chef of the award winning Absolute Hotel. Located on the first floor of the Absolute Hotel Limerick you will find the Absolute Bar & Grill. Local produce, river views, good value and made to order dishes are just some of the details expected when dinning in this popular Limerick city restaurant.
As head chef, Jim’s mission is to ‘create locally sourced food that is not pretentious and food that complements the smart surroundings of the Absolute Bar & Grill, a place where people leave happy and have every intention of coming back’.
Recently revamping its midweek lunch menu, this new menu, back-boned by locally-sourced produce has been Jim’s main focus over the past weeks, he says. ‘It is a menu that will suit friends meeting for a light bite and a catch-up, something you can grab on a lunch break in a hurry or a place to escape the city centre without going too far, enjoying a meal with good service and a nice atmosphere and look at nothing but trees and river, just a moment to move away from the chaos’.
Having spent some of his career in areas such as West Cork and Clare, Jim is passionate about supporting and using local ingredients. ‘We have fresh, traceable, top quality produce on our doorstep’ he explains while plating up one of the newest additions to the midweek lunch menu, Steak Sandwich with grilled medallions of beef. ‘The beef comes from Noel O’Connor’s farm. He is a fifth generation family butcher from Limerick so quality is assured’. ‘Choosing great ingredients is key to producing fresh, seasonal and enjoyable food’ Jim explains.
Elaborating on this, Jim says ‘If I take this Steak sandwich that has 4 main elements to the dish including caramelized onions and peppery rocket leaves, which I source all the fruit & vegetables for the hotel from Limerick fruit & veg and Béarnaise sauce which is made in house, I know I can be proud to serve these dishes knowing all the ingredients are fresh, traceable and locally produced’.
Below is the recipe of the ‘Absolute Steak sandwich’ but if you prefer to get it freshly prepared by Chef Jim on full view then it is served from 12.30pm – 5.00pm Monday – Saturday.
Book a table 061 463600 firstname.lastname@example.org
ABSOLUTE GRILLED STEAK SANDWICH
Ingredients – Serves 1
· 1 Chargrilled slice of ciabatta bread
· 100g onions from Limerick Fruit & Veg
· 130g Trimmed, rolled, seasoned & grilled rump of beef from Noel O’Connor’s butchers.
· 50g fresh rocket from Limerick Fruit & Veg
· Homemade Béarnaise sauce (makes 1 bottle)
- 300g butter
- 4 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 3 tbsp. chopped fresh tarragon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 free-range egg yolks
- 1 tsp lemon juice
· Homemade Béarnaise sauce
- Clarify the butter by melting it in a small, heavy-based saucepan over a low heat.
- Pour the vinegar into a saucepan. Add the shallots, chopped tarragon
- Add salt, to taste
- Lightly beat egg yolks with one teaspoon of water. Stir the egg yolk mixture into the cooled vinegar, then add the lemon juice.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl suspended over a pan of simmering water (do not allow base of the bowl to touch the water). Whisk constantly until the sauce has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon and has increased in volume.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and slowly pour in the clarified butter in a steady stream, whisking continuously, until the mixture is thick and smooth.
· Cut beef in 3 medallions, grill to your liking
· Caramelized onions -
· Lightly toast ciabatta on chargrill
· Spoon the caramelized onions onto the chargrilled ciabatta bread and then top with the beef.
· Dress rocket leave with balsamic vinaigrette
· Drizzle over Béarnaise sauce